Passive Harmonic Filter
HPS Centurion™ P
Product Configurator & Drawings
HPS Centurion™ P passive harmonic filter is specifically engineered to mitigate harmonic currents created by non-linear loads. It is currently available from 5 to 500 horsepower and it improves power quality by simultaneously reducing harmonics and improving true power factor. The advanced HPS design delivers superior performance compared to a traditional harmonic filter by reducing harmonic current distortion by 80% (typically to 5% or less at full load), corrects corrects true power factor to over 95%, and meets IEEE 519 harmonic requirements when operated within designed parameters.
HPS Centurion P consists of reactors and capacitors in an LCL arrangement designed to reduce a broad range of harmonics associated with variable frequency drives and other three phase rectifiers.
Witness real time testing of the HPS Centurion P in the HPS Power Quality lab. Learn more here.
Throughout of the development of our passive harmonic filter, HPS has been validating performance through a real system installation.
The measurements were taken on the input of the passive harmonic filter and on the input of a variable frequency drive without the passive harmonic filter. The actual measured data points were used to show the current distortion as well as the harmonic spectrum.
Typical line current with and without passive filters
Passive Harmonic Filter Simulations
HPS has developed an Excel based tool to simulate the effect of adding up to 5 HPS Centurion P Passive Harmonic Filters which greatly reduce harmonics from non-linear loads (typically VFDs). Contact HPS to obtain a simulation for your system.
The simulation illustrates the expected performance of the HPS Centurion P passive filters in comparison to 3% or 5% line reactors or an isolation transformer. The tool displays expected current distortion and power factor as well as current waveforms and spectra. It will also tell you the HPS part number for the required passive filter. As a future enhancement it will also be possible to compare the effectiveness of HPS Centurion P Passive Harmonic Filters to an HPS TruWave Active Harmonic Filter.
- Voltage Rating: 480VAC or 600VAC +/-10%
- Input Power Rating: 480VAC: 8 – 632A (5-500HP); 600VAC: 6-505A (5-500HP)
- Harmonic Attenuation:
- Total harmonic distortion (THDi): typically <5% at full load; <8% at 30% load when operated within the designed parameters
- Harmonic Mitigation: 5th, 7th, 11th, 13th, etc. (major 6-pulse rectifier harmonics)
- Efficiency: No less than 99% at full load
- Typical Power Factor: >95%
- Overload Capability: 150% of rated current for 1 minute
- Capacitor contactor available as an option to allow the user to open and close a contact that will remove the capacitors from the circuit
- Enclosure Type: Open or Type 3R
- Approval: cUL Listed (E61431)
Leverage many tools to assist you with your technical questions: Customer Service, FAQs, Troubleshooting Guide, Installation Manuals, Instruction Sheets and Webinars.
Get answers to our most frequently asked questions.