What are the benefits of an active filter over a passive filter?
Here are some of the advantages that Active Harmonic Filters can provide over the Passive Filters.
- Active Harmonic Filters provide far superior flexibility and performance over passive filters.
- Not all Passive filters can achieve the 8% or 5%THD IEEE-519 specification even at full load. The HPS TruWave AHF will achieve less than 5% THD even until 10% loaded. Passive filters typically provide less overall mitigation as the load decreases.
- AHF will not cause a leading power factor at no load while passive filters do
- AHF can be installed anywhere in the lineup, while the passive filters must be installed at each VFD
- Active filters are cost and space effective with the use of multiple VFD loads compared to passive filters