What are the advantages and disadvantages of an open delta transformer configuration ?
Open-delta configurations are typically deployed by utilities, typically to loads with little single-phase requirements.
- Open-deltas only require the utility to install two transformers.
- Future Capacity can be increased by simply installing a third similar sized transformer verses installing 2-3 larger transformers.
- While the line to line voltages will be equal, the line to neutral voltages will have two phases being equal and one phase being 1.732 times larger.
- Unbalanced single phase loads can cause voltage fluctuations and additional, uneven transformer heating.
- An open delta connection only has 58% of the capacity of a full set of three transformers, that is a 42% decrease in actual capacity event though the installed capacity only drops by 33%.