What are the Advantages and Disadvantages to Using a Fan-Cooled Transformer?
- Smaller size; fans may add some height but may reduce width and depth
- Lower costs for larger units (generally above 1000kVA) to add fans instead of conductor and core
- Potentially better low-load efficiencies
- Increased complexity and maintenance
- Increased cost as fan packages may cost more than just adding material in smaller units
- Additional energy losses and noise when fan motors are operated in higher loads